The Cardinals baseball team found an economical, convenient, and environmentally-friendly way to get from Washington to Philadelphia: Amtrak. For short and middle-distance trips, this makes much better sense that air for several reasons:
1) Security screening is faster.
2) Train stations are often easier to reach than airports.
3) Trains use a lot less fuel per passenger-mile than planes or cars.
4) Trains contribute a lot less to climate change per passenger-mile.
5) The view is more interesting.
Ticket prices are often not as competitive as they should be. The Cardinals organization is doing its part by stimulating demand; Congress and the President should step up as well and invest more in trains, relative to air and highways.